Saturday, October 29, 2016

More Clicking, Bricking and Barriers !

Here's October again and those autumn leaves have been doing themselves proud falling from the trees everso gracefully at times. The gentle winds that pick them up off the floor are also a pleasant to see! If you haven't of guessed it, I quite like autumn, especially when it has just left summer!

I managed to get a few things working this month and a number of projects completed. It's always nice to move onto newer projects, especially when some haven't seemed to move much or might have appeared to be abandoned.

Lego :: ( MOC | speed build ) 
This month we have a nice bunch of spOOky speed builds for you. They are all based around Halloween I guess, but could well suit any time where you want a horror based theme. There is something for everyone! :)

I really like this Skull and could imagine the rest of it's Skeleton made out of Lego. I can't help thinking of Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger though! :)
Hey! Frankie! The first thing I thought about after designing this was, the Muppets! Perhaps a character from Sesame Street even? Just check out those buldging eyes! ;)
I designed this build several months ago, I think around April. It has quite a charm about it with the 2D / 3D cross over. I need to go and watch It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown again! :)
So, let's end the four speed builds with a Ghost! You'll need to imagine it flying right with it's cape or sheet flapping around in flight! :)

GameDev :: ( Clickteam Fusion 2.5 )
I was quite fortunate to stumble across a Humble Bundle deal this month and score with Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Developer, plus extras. A majority of the downloads for this were via Steam. I have had a play around and like what I've seen so far. The interface will take a while to get used to, but the engine ( software ) behind this, is said to be quite powerful.
 
I hope to design a working, one level version of Bugsy Reloaded. I have started with the 'Catch the Fruit'  tutorial, just like when I started with the basic platformer tutorial in Game Maker back in 2004. In doing this I will get used to the interface and workings of Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Developer. Ironically, one of the key developers for the software is none other than Fran├žois Lionet who brought us, AMOS and STOS in the 1990's, plus many software titles during the 1980's.
After I have completed the Bugsy Reloaded project, I want to work on another mini-project and then progress from there. As I progress, I will ofcourse blog my workings! :)

GameDev :: ( Barriers )
It was to be expected really, I actually finished Barriers this month and made it publically available on Android and PC. From August until October, I actually surprised myself by the progress and doing little bitesized tasks each week, it made a difference.
 
I eventually left out the Bluetooth controller option, as explained last month. It was frustrating me a little, so perhaps I can revisit this at a later date with a fresh and new idea. For a project that was started two years ago and then put on hold, I am quite proud of what I have achieved.

You can download Barriers on Android for *FREE* from the Google Play and on PC from my Alex Aris Games website.

The Immersion Heater ::
Steadily, over the last few years. The electricity bill at Aris HQ has increased! At first, you begin to think that too many appliances are being used at once or some how we are being wired into another home, powering that too! By chance, a colleague at work was discussing with me about Ecomony 7 heating. As the conversation progressed, a revelation transpired ...
Ever since I can remember, the top power switch on photo left, was turned on and bottom one was turned off. Unbeknown to me, the top switch is ( always on heated water ) and the bottom switch is ( heated via Ecomony 7 ). Ofcourse everytime you turned on the hot water tap, it would forever check or heat the water. It is an easy mistake to make and with the switches not being clearly labelled, any person is bound to experience this. So, after clarifiying the situation with Scottish Southern Electric ( SSE ) it was confirmed that the bottom switch is for Ecomony 7 and the top switch ( booster - only use when necessary ) should be turned off. There should be a significant difference with future bills, which is definitely a good thing. You'll also be pleased to know the switches are now labelled, something the landlord should have done in the first place or at least documented clearly through documentation! And so, we move on! :)

And finally ...
 




No comments:

Post a Comment